Friday, October 16, 2020 || By Community Editor || @maywoodnews
There’s lots happening across Proviso Township this week. Below is just a small selection of events happening near you. To submit an event for inclusion in Big Week, email the information to: [email protected].
On Saturday, Oct. 17, 9 a.m., at Irving Middle School, 805 S. 17th Ave. in Maywood, Noble Knights and P.O.E.T will host a peace march. After the march, there will be a rally at the park on Fifth and Oak. Young poets from Maywood will be performing along with multiple National Award-winning Spoken Word artist Blaq Ice, among other poets.
5K Unity Walk for Breast Cancer and SIDS
On Saturday, Oct. 17, 10 a.m., World Deliverance Church, at the Prarie Path on the corner of 17th Ave & Maywood Drive, will host a 5K Unity Walk while also giving away Mammogram vouchers, free flu shots, a chance to win an infant crib and more. The registration fee is $35 per adult team leader, $25 per team member and $15 per child 5-17 years. The fee includes a t-shirt, mask and a bottle of water.The Susan G. Koman Foundation and to Sudden Infant Death Services of Illinois will each get 5 percent of the proceeds. Register at www.worlddeliverancecc.net or call (708) 398-3211
Westchester Shred Event
On Saturday, Oct. 17, 10 a.m to 12 p.m., at the Westchester Village Hall, 10300 Roosevelt Rd. in Westchester, there will be free document shredding. This event will be held behind Village Hall and residents may follow the directional signs. Please make sure the documents you bring to be shredded are not sealed in plastic, as the shredder cannot handle plastic bags.
Dancing And S’mores
On Saturday, Oct. 17, 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., at World Deliverance Church, 439 Bohland Ave. in Bellwood, there will be dancing and s’mores over the fire pits. Masks are required. Space is limited. You must RSVP here.
MadScience presents “Fire & Ice” (online)
On Saturday, Oct. 10, 2 p.m. to 3 p.m, the Bellwood Public Library will be hosting an online science experiment. Come stretch your brain! When was the last time you burnt paper and there was no ash? Levitated all kinds of balls without using your hands? You will learn how cool dry ice can be (109.5 degrees below zero to be exact!). Watch on Zoom as the Mad Scientist uses dry ice to shower volunteers with clouds, bubbles and creates spooky fog. Click here to register.
Employment Training And Career Placement
On Monday, Oct. 19, Project Ascension will begin its 39-week program. If you are a youth 16-24 years old seeking full or part-time sustainable employment or looking for a career path in the trades there will be employment training and career placement. The waiting list is growing. Contact: Randall McFarland at (708) 906-7736
Beginner’s Line Dancing with Dawn the Dancin’ Deeva (Online)
On Monday, Oct. 19, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m., at the Bellwood Public Library, Dawn Avery, a.k.a. “Dawn the Dancin’ Deeva” will teach you basic steps and simple dance routines in this 4-part virtual class series pre-recorded on YouTube. Registrants will receive the link information by email when they sign up online. Links will become active 15 minutes before each class and will be available for 3 days afterward for rewatching. To sign up click here.
Maywood’s Fall Clean-Up Schedule for 2020
On Tuesday, Oct. 20, Roosevelt north to I-290, 1st Avenue west to 25th Avenue, the village of Maywood and Republic Services will conduct a village clean up during the last two weeks of October. Large bulky household items and junk are acceptable. Smaller loose items must be containers or tied and bundled. Household hazardous waste will not be accepted. Please have your discarded items at your garbage pick-up point on the morning of the day Republic is in your neighborhood.
On Wednesday, Oct. 21, the areas covered are Madison north to Railroad and 1st Avenue west to 21st Avenue.
— Ongoing Events —
- Every Saturday, 7 a.m., at the Broadview Walgreens, 1600 W. Roosevelt Rd. in Broadview, Broadview community members meet for a Community Walk about town.
- Every Sunday, 9 a.m., at the intersection of 14th Street and 17th Avenue in Broadview, Broadview Mayor Katrina Thompson convenes her weekly community bike ride. Riders start at the intersection, ride south on 17th Avenue to South Creek Trail and then ride to 31st, before turning around and heading back the way they came.
- Hines VA Hospital is offering flu shots to Veterans at its main facility and at its Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs). Hines flu vaccination drive-thru hours are 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Flu clinic hours at CBOCs are from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. No appointment is necessary.
- The Proviso Township Ministerial Alliance Network (PTMAN) is providing food for the community at the following churches:
- Proviso Baptist Church, 1116 S. 6th Ave. in Maywood. Daily: 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. Contact: (708) 865-7389
- Greater Hope Ministries, 1427 S. 18th St. in Maywood. Tuesdays: 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Contact: (708) 483-8350.
- God’s House Brotherly Love Church, 425 Bohland Ave. Bellwood. Wednesdays: 12 p.m. Contact: (708) 547-8715
- United Faith MB Church. 40 S. 19th Ave. in Maywood. Thursdays: 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Contact: (708) 338-1150.
- Christian Unity Baptist Church. 2140 Washington Blvd. in Bellwood. Saturday, Sept. 26, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Contact: (708) 544-1028.
- Maywood Neighborhood United Methodist Church. 1817 Washington Blvd. in Maywood. Tuesday, Sept. 29. Contact: (708) 681-588
- Veggie Rx Maywood is still serving Proviso Township residents. If you have SNAP: Receive a free 8 to 10 lb bag of vegetables. Please bring your link card to receive your bag. No funds will be deducted from the card. If you do not have SNAP: Receive 50 percent off produce bags valued at $15, $7.50 per bag or $50 for a bag each week from October through November ($10 savings). To pre-order for fall season or attend a Friday distribution, contact the PP4H Food Justice Hotline at (708) 397-6012.